Posted By: Daphne's
Categories: Briones Regional Park, Daphne's California Greek, EAT WELL, Exercise, Fitness, healthy living, hike, hiking, hiking trails, Live Well, running trails, trail run, trail running
Clear your mind, give your heart a workout and soak up all the benefits of the great outdoors!
We've done the research for you and discovered Briones Regional Park in Walnut Creek, California. With endless trails of rolling, grassy hills and secluded, shady canyons, this "secret wilderness" is the epicenter for hiking enthusiasts of all levels on the Central Coast. And after that 1 mile, 5 mile or 15 mile hike, take your appetite to Daphne's which is just 5 miles away!
Not enough to lace up? Here are 5 benefits of taking your workout to the wilderness:
1. Helps Prevent Osteoporosis - Hiking is a weight-bearing exercise which protects the bones. Moreover, being outside in the sunshine provides vitamin D which acts as another bone-healthy ingredient.
2. Cardiovascular Strength - The constant up and down of hiking provides an aerobic exercise that gives your heart one heck of a workout.
3. Reduces LDL (Bad Cholesterol) - Both uphill and downhill hiking reduces LDL. Surprisingly, that "easy" hike downhill is actually twice as effective as uphill hiking at removing blood sugars and improving glucose tolerance.
4. Mental Health - A little nature does the mind good. Research suggests that hiking around a scenic, natural environment improves mental and emotional health such as depression and self-esteem.
5. It's FREE - Ditch your gym's treadmill and hit the trail with T H I S site to help you take advantage of the surroundings wherever you are.